Monday, March 8, 2010

Easter in England

For my first quilting blog post, I thought I would start with my first quilt.  What does that have to do with Easter in England?  You'll see.

My mom quilted when I was a kid, but she mostly hand-quilted traditional designs, so I never had much interest when I was younger.  I learned to sew with my grandmother, who taught me how to make clothes for the porcelain dolls that we made together.  Talk about tedious!  Needless to say, I put the sewing machine away for a couple decades.

My friend, RaeRae, is a quilter and the person I hold responsible for introducing me to modern fabrics.  She's also responsible for inviting me to my first quilt retreat.  What a friend, right?  Anyway, I wanted to make a quilt for my MIL, Maggie's, 50th birthday (April 2010), so I enlisted RaeRae to help me choose fabric and a pattern.  She suggested that I start with a Shattered Nine Patch pattern using charm squares.  We met at a great little quilt shop, Cabbage Rose, in Fort Worth to pick out fabric.  RaeRae has an eye for fabric and color!  We both loved Hello Betty by Chloe's Closet for Moda.  We supplemented with a cream/white accent fabric, Brown Moda solid for the narrow border and Terra Cotta from Deer Valley by Joel Dewberry for Free Spirit for the wide border.

There is a wholelottalove in that quilt, no doubt!  I finished it by backing it with Chocolate Brown, Minky Dimple Dot.  I love how it turned out!

So, on March 31 we are headed across the pond to my husband Daniel's native country to spend Easter in England with the in-laws, as well as celebrate Maggie's 50th birthday.  I think she will love her quilt!

As a reward for having stuck with me this long, I'll leave you with a few photos from Scarborough England.

Toodle pip!

2 comments:

  1. You ROCK! I love that you know you are an expert at something. Can't wait to follow your blog!---CL

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a gorgeous quilt! I'm glad you are blogging and I'm glad you joined my quilting bee.

    Have a blast in England!

    ReplyDelete