Tuesday, March 30, 2010

It's a beautiful day to be outside!

Remember when you were in elementary school,  the weather outside was beautiful and it was hard to stay focused on learning?  And you would always ask your teacher, "Can we have class outside today?"  Today reminded me of one of those days!  So, since I'm no longer in school and don't have to ask permission, I decided to have class outside today!

One of the perks of urban living is having a 4th floor rooftop deck to enjoy on days such as this.  I just finished a denim and flannel rag quilt rug, so I took it up to the roof to take advantage of the natural light for photos.  


This quilt had no "recipe" (or pattern) to start.  I began by cutting down a bunch of old blue jeans that I no longer had use for.  Okay, I'll admit, some had gotten a little too tight over the years, but I did have some that I'm glad to say were too big!  Because rag quilts need a healthy seem allowance for fraying, I started with 7" squares that would be 5" finished after a 1" seam allowance on all sides.  I also supplemented the denim with 3 different flannel fabrics, Horsin' Around, found at Cabbage Rose.

I made sandwiches with one piece of denim and one piece of flannel, WST, and stitched a 1" seam all around.  I then stitched a diagonal line across each block.  It's important to use a heavy-duty or denim needle, otherwise you'll need to wear goggles!  Next step,  I sewed the pieces together, carefully going through 4 layers of thick fabric.  

Make sure that all of your seams are turned towards one side of your quilt.  This is what the underside of your quilt should look like.

 

The best part about this type of project?  There is no biding to hand-sew!  To finish the project, you'll want to invest in spring loaded snip scissors, to keep your hand from cramping!  I found a pair like this:


Clip all of your seams at about 1/4" increments and you are ready to wash and fray!  I would recommend taking your quilt to a coin laundromat to preserve your home washing machine, unless you know how to change your filter.  The frayed bits will quickly accumulate and clog your machine.  

Here's a look at the finished product:
 
 
I think it will make a nice housewarming gift for my old friend that moved away from Texas!

I'm off to England tomorrow, so this will be my last post for a few weeks!

Happy Quilting!


1 comment:

  1. That is so cute! Have a safe and wonderful trip!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete